System and comprehensive approach to Manual Testing
Ordinary people often think that the process of manual testing on software development projects is something simple that doesn’t require high qualification. However, we know that manual testing requires a wide range of knowledge and competencies. Understanding various protocols and standards, and the ability to continuously learn while effectively appling up-to-date tools are integral qualities of a professional manual testing specialist.
Our company applies an engineering approach to manual testing. We take this aspect into account at all stages of our service, and always prove ourselves as professional engineers.
JazzTeam test engineers delve into the nuances of regression testing, have deep knowledge in the design of test cases, and have a good command of test design techniques (study and apply equivalence classes, boundary values, domain analysis, pairwise testing). They can master any tool that will help solve your problems in the most efficient way possible.
JazzTeam QA engineers currently perform the following tasks within the framework of manual testing services on various real projects:
- Use Postman to create REST API requests.
- Use complex SQL to test databases (stored procedures) and non-trivial integration logic.
- Use OWASP ZAP for the automated scanning of possible vulnerabilities.
- Create JMeter tests for load testing.
- Use all features of the Chrome Development console. It is facilitated by an understanding of the HTTP protocol and a decent knowledge of the principles of HTML/CSS/Java Script.
- If necessary, they can work with a version control system, such as Git.
- Know how to create No-Code/Low-Code autotests using our xml2selenium product and other tools (Selenium IDE).
Our company always applies a system and comprehensive approach to the process of manual testing. At the beginning of cooperation, we deeply analyze the customer’s requirements, the situation on the project, and the state of the product. Then we develop a detailed plan and implement only the necessary types of testing. This leverages team resources and saves development time.
By working with us, you will get a high-quality service, professional management of the testing process, and the work of highly qualified proactive engineers who are all specialists in manual testing, as well as well thought-out integration of manual testing with your project CI/CD processes.
Our Manual Testing Services
JazzTeam provides a full range of manual testing services. You can choose individual services or involve JazzTeam specialists in certain tasks. You can also order the establishment of the manual testing process on your project from scratch.
We offer professional solutions for the following types of tasks:
- Software manual testing.
- Establishing the test management process, including setting up specialized tools, e.g. TestLink, TestRail, Jira.
- Audit of the testing process on your project. Consulting on all aspects of manual testing organization.
Our quality assurance team successfully conducts the following types of testing:
- Smoke testing — used to check the correct operation of the product’s main functionality (especially important when new product features are added).
- Regression testing — aimed at detecting bugs in already tested parts of the source code after implementing changes.
- Integration testing — allows us to check the connection between parts of the application or between the developed software and third-party systems.
- Load testing — designed to determine software performance and time of response to an external request.
- Functional testing — carried out to verify that the functional requirements for the product are met.
- Non-functional testing — used to check the correct operation of non-functional requirements (user interface, usability, compatibility, reliability).
- Acceptance testing — used to verify the actual compliance of software operation with the acceptance criteria and shows whether the product has reached the required quality level.
Experience in comprehensive testing of complex systems
Our company has been providing manual testing services for more than 10 years. We have accumulated strong expertise in this area and gained experience in the successful stabilization of various products.
In particular, we have conducted manual testing of the following types of software:
- Applications in the area of the Internet of Things (IoT) and telecommunications, the quality assurance of which requires knowledge of network protocols and standards
- Non-trivial web applications
- Integration systems without the UI part
- The most sophisticated desktop applications for project management
- Knowledge-intensive systems, the testing of which requires serious immersion into the subject area
Regardless of the product complexity, we always do our best to get a deep understanding of the domain area and the features of the system. This approach is the basis of our professional and effective service.
Manual Testing steps
Typically, JazzTeam’s manual testing process involves the following steps:
- Studying project features and specifications. Immersion in the domain area. Determination of the necessary types of testing and selection of the necessary tools.
- Test design, selection of suitable practices.
- Preparation of test cases and checklists for testing. Creation of a test plan.
- Active participation in iteration planning, making decisions on deliveries of product new versions, process optimization, and retrospectives.
- Checking the quality of software:
- Searching for defects
- Analyzing results obtained during the tests
- Saving the detected bugs in the bug tracking system
- Assigning the developer for bug fixing
- Checking bug elimination
- Preparation of reports and necessary documents.
To apply the necessary test design practices and harmoniously integrate manual testing into the delivery processes, we recommend involving QA specialists from the very beginning of the project. However, JazzTeam test engineers can also effectively join your team later.
Benefits of cooperation with JazzTeam
1. Timely and efficient testing of new product functionality
Thanks to the accumulated experience of our company, we competently configure deliveries of various functionalities and optimize the work of QA specialists. With this approach, we manage to perform regression testing and check the most necessary test cases. Together with the efficient use of test plan management and bug tracking systems, as well as an engineering approach to test design, the manual testing service provided by our company has a positive effect on system stability. The result of our work is tangible for the customer.
2. Synchronization of manual testing with other types of services
We always integrate manual testing into the customer’s processes and management systems, and also ensure the synchronization of manual and automated testing. Test cases and test plans developed by our specialists can be used by the customer’s test automation team.
3. Integration of manual testing into the necessary phase of the product lifecycle and CI/CD process
Our company has a clear vision and wide experience in embedding manual testing in the customer’s CI/CD processes. In this case, the process of manual testing is connected with the general flow of product development and delivery, as a result of which manual testing is carried out at the necessary stages and prevents bugs during production.
One of the important goals of the manual testing team is finding product bottlenecks. If we understand that it is better to implement specific tasks through automation, then we must draw the customer’s attention to this, as well as initiate the implementation of test automation. This makes the product stabilization process faster, more efficient, and cheaper.
5. Iterative approach
We apply Scrum methodology, which allows us to quickly respond to changing requirements, detect and eliminate risks at the early stages of the project, and effectively control the quality of the created product.
Professional management of the testing process
Professional test management is one of the foundations of our manual testing service. JazzTeam managers are deeply immersed in the product life cycle, and offer an optimal test strategy. As part of managing the testing process, they also regularly provide reports on the number and quality of test cases they cover and bugs they fix.
We systematically assess the effectiveness of the prepared number of test cases for manual testing, and constantly work on the connection of cases for manual and automated testing. By investing in the creation of test coverage and noting the necessary metrics, we can perfectly understand which product functionality is more stable and which one requires special attention.
Our specialists use specialized test management systems (TestLink and TestRail). In addition, they help fine-tune Jira (or any other task management system), so that this tool really optimizes the process of working with bugs. This helps record bugs in the software in a way that is convenient for the entire team, and also provides full control over them.
Our Manual Testing toolkit
Below are some of the tools JazzTeam uses. You can find the full list of technologies on a separate page.
- Bug tracking systems: Jira, Trac, Trello
- Test management systems: TestLink, TestRail, Zephyr
- Testing tools: Chrome development tools, Postman, SoapUI, OWASP ZAP. Including load testing and automation tools: JMeter, XML2Selenium.
- Standards and protocols: JSON, XML, REST API
- Languages: HTML, CSS, JS; SQL
- Version control systems: SVN, Git
- Environment: Jenkins, Maven, Docker
- Reporting, analytics: Google Sheets