The low-code development project appeared at JazzTeam as a reaction to the global trend of using low-code platforms in software development. This approach (with proper application) allows to significantly reduce the development time, improve product quality, establish excellent interaction with the customer in the early stages of development (prototyping, early feedback). Ultimately — to reduce the total cost and duration of work while maintaining the quality of the product, which is a significant competitive advantage in the software development market.
JazzTeam tried not only to test new technology, but also to create and maintain sustainable processes for training and certification of new low-code developers, accumulation and use of experience, and popularization of low-code platforms.
The goal of the project is to develop commercial software using a low-code platform in a short time and with excellent quality, as well as the sustainable development of this area (department) in our company.
Technical and organizational description
The solution from Outsystems was chosen as the main low-code platform. IIt’s a flexible, feature-rich system with huge possibilities for customization and integration with third-party solutions, almost ready-made CI/CD capabilities.
Organizationally, the project consisted of the following stages:
- Analysis of existing solutions on the low-code market and selection of the main platform for development.
- Implementation of several pilot projects (internal, non-commercial) using low-code tools. As an option, creating a low-code analogue of the product previously written in Java.
- Analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of low-code approach — time spent on pilot projects (compared to effort spent on Java product); quality of the finished product, the difficulties encountered.
- Parallel filling of the Outsystems knowledge base.
- Establishing contacts with Outsystems support and management.
- Analysis of the labor market for low-code developers or those who want to become one.
- Creating a training program (both using Outsystems courses and internal training).
- Formalization and streamlining of the certification process at Outsystems.
- Implementation of commercial projects.
- Expansion of the department and implementation of larger projects.
Low-code platform: Outsystems.
CI/CD: by means of Outsystems.
Testing: manual at the first stages, then QA Automation.
Project management: Jira, Confluence, MS Teams.
Hands-on experience in solving business problems using the Outsystems
Low-code technologies (and Outsystems, in particular) are a relatively new and actively developing approach to software design. Jazzteam company has invested quite significant resources in the development of this area. As mentioned above, the goal was not just to do it hastily and for once, but to create and maintain clear low-code development processes, a well-functioning scheme of recruitment, training and certification, and the specifics of interaction with customers on low-code projects.
- Two teams of low-code developers were created from scratch and went through a full cycle of training, besides several candidates already had Java development experience, and some of the guys only had the theoretical foundations of programming. All trainees were successfully certified by Outsystems.
- A knowledge base on Outsystems has been created and is maintained, and it brings value to projects.
- A training and certification program has been created, including the study of theory (internal and Outsystems courses), implementation of a reference project, preparation and obtaining a certificate.
- Work has begun on a commercial project in the field of automation of audit processes (for a European customer).
- A contract was signed for commercial project implementation on Outsystems platform.
- Good contact with representatives of Outsystems has been established, including due to several vulnerabilities and bugs found by our developers in this low-code platform. They promised to fix it soon. 🙂
- The training and certification program has proven to be effective. The second group of trainees, with significantly less initial experience, received certificates in about the same time as the first, more experienced group.
Articles created on the basis of project experience
JazzTeam Experience in Using OutSystems